forum Arts & Entertainment ›› Hellraiser: Revelations - movie review ›› new reply Post Reply
Maryland Matt

still oh so ill
8,438 Posts
36/M/MD

offline     (6)
May 22 2012 9:02 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Here we have Revelations, the ninth installment in the Hellraiser saga. Regardless of the ma...

click for full review
WREN
Pulp Free
52,158 Posts
35/M/PA

offline  mobile reply   (19)
May 22 2012 9:31 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Will never watch
Aunt_Pee
mr. birthdaysex
8,624 Posts
34/M/NC

offline   (12)
May 22 2012 9:37 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
same.
Yodel Toast
que te follen
20,134 Posts
33/F/PA

offline   (14)
May 22 2012 9:56 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I still haven't seen the first one, I plan on doing that soon. I'll probably just watch the first three and leave the other 6 to the imagination.
Jason Voorheees
dogfood meatballs
6,445 Posts
39/M/NY

offline   (4)
May 22 2012 10:02 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
lol, that sounds awful. ....and emo-pinhead ftw.

it really is a shame too, because the franchise really did have a lot of potential at the start. 1 & 2 are classics; by 3 they were already feeling like a costume drama but passable thanks to doug bradley like you said. but the rest have felt like fake copies with painted-on knobs and no functioning parts save the walk-thrus by bradley.

i think it really comes down to a failure of writing, and of imagination, i guess. effects are important, but good writing, backed up by good direction and acting can make even the worst rubber-suit effects go unnoticed. [see most british sci-fi]

but now i want to get drunk and watch 1 & 2 back to back . total classics.

***just saw that ALL of these including the one being reviewed are on netflix streaming.
Maryland Matt
still oh so ill
8,438 Posts
36/M/MD

offline  mobile reply     (6)
May 22 2012 10:02 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
4 isn't terrible... but that's when it starts to go downhill... and fast.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,158 Posts
35/M/PA

offline   (19)
May 22 2012 10:25 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
The first 2 are easily in the top 20 horror films of all time. Hellbound being in the top 10. The 3rd was a change in approach (more slasher than psychological) but was still a very solid movie. 4 was definitely jumping the shark though. Anytime you proceed to go to space with your story, you know you are fucking up. That is unless you take the "we're clearly not serious" attitude like in Jason X. It wasn't a terrible film but by the films conclusion it was beginning to get corny.

The next 4 films didn't even make it to theaters and only 1 of them wasn't a rewrite for another film. Coincidentally it's the best of the direct to DVD films as well and probably the best since 3. That one is called Hellseeker and it was the 6th film released. It actually comes back to some of the story from the original 2 as well.

Inferno is the only one that I would say you can straight up avoid. The other 2, Dead and Hellworld, were entertaining but don't except anything special from either of them.

Doug Bradley's performance as Pinhead was a saving grace in alot of those films. Losing him is a bad idea all together. Honestly he's like Robert Englund is to Freddy Krueger. He was the personality of the character. Instead of just being a big guy behind a mask that breaths heavily.
Maryland Matt
still oh so ill
8,438 Posts
36/M/MD

May 22 2012 10:31 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Just watch this one, Wren.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,158 Posts
35/M/PA

offline   (19)
May 22 2012 10:36 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Nah. I own all of them up until this point. Only 4 and 6 got more than one viewing and I haven't watched any of them (4-8) since the last one was released on DVD. Without Bradley, there is literally no reason to even both with this. I just read it was made on a $300,000 budget. I'm sure it looks wonderful.
Aunt_Pee
mr. birthdaysex
8,624 Posts
34/M/NC

offline   (12)
May 22 2012 11:00 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
the first film in this series is my all time favorite horror film second only to evil dead 2. the original hell raiser film is quite literally one of the most frightening and psychologically thrilling movies in the history of the horror genre imo.

clive barker's comments on this film are great. “Hello,my friends. I want to put on record that the flic out there using the word Hellraiser IS NO FUCKIN’ CHILD OF MINE!” he screams via Twitter. “I have NOTHING to do with the fuckin’ thing. If they claim its from the mind of Clive Barker,it’s a lie. It’s not even from my butt-hole.”
Yodel Toast
que te follen
20,134 Posts
33/F/PA

offline   (14)
May 22 2012 11:39 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
So many better things could have happened with that $300,000
Brett Weir
im gay
44,455 Posts
33/M/NY

online  mobile reply   (7)
May 22 2012 12:33 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
This was written and shot in about 2 weeks and was made to keep the rights to the hellraiser franchise (contract stipulation). There is literally no reason to watch this.
Maryland Matt
still oh so ill
8,438 Posts
36/M/MD

May 22 2012 12:40 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
My reason for watching it was to provide you guys with a report on how it was.

My report: (fart noise)
Brett Weir
im gay
44,455 Posts
33/M/NY

online  mobile reply   (7)
May 22 2012 12:44 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I am grateful for your review, mary land matthew
forum Arts & Entertainment ›› Hellraiser: Revelations - movie review ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: Hellraiser: Revelations - movie review

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?