all threads All Threads ›› the movie thread ›› new reply Post Reply
Solomon Grundy
want pants too
491 Posts
35/M/NA

offline   (1)
March 6 2017 9:34 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Lifetime74

Ok, so I liked this, but it also pissed me off. It definitely was good, but there is an argument to be made that the choice of which X-men comics to produce as films over the past 17 years has been awful and has consistently fucked the franchise and the comics, even when they resulted in decent films. They definitely don't seem like they were ever chosen by an actual X-men fan. With so many amazing stories to choose from, it boggles the mind how crap like The Last Stand ever got made, and the fact that Singer called Days of Future Past a reset only makes the point more strongly. Weren't they supposed to do a bunch of standalone films - I remember hearing about a Juggernaut film, Jubilee, Gambit, Sinister; any of those would have been way better than half of the crap that went to screen. Hell, if they had just done live action versions of the cartoons, that would have been a thousand times better than all the films.

This movie is the second conscious or unconscious attempt to suicide the franchise after Last Stand, except that this one totally kicks the wind out of the entire franchise and will stick, because it actually is a good film. I don't think the folks at Marvel's film division fully grasp the fact that films exist in a single universe, unlike comics which can be completely contradictory with one another. And now without Wolverine and Xavier, there's really nothing in the X-men universe but retarded, redundant, allegorical, soapy melodramas about being 'different', and the same was actually always kind of true of the comics. Wolverine gave the comics balls, and Xavier gave them some semblance of intelligent sci-fi narrative. Now for the vast majority of viewers who only know the films, they will have neither.

This is a decent story, but it could easily have waited a few more years and about a dozen more films with Wolverine and Xavier in minor roles, so maybe ego was an issue. I get that Jackman wanted out, but maybe someone needed to sit him down and tell him what a big douche he was being and that no one gives a shit about any of the other shit films he makes, and certainly not his embarrassing ventures into musical theater. This was the one character he did really well, and anyone they try to cast for it in the future when they realize how much they fucked up will ring hollow in his shadow. Patrick Stewart loved the role and didn't want out but went along with it because he liked the script and wanted to work with Jackman again. James McAvoy isn't bad as young Xavier, but he's no Patrick Stewart and never will be. After that last wet fart of a film with him in the part, it's clear how much Stewart anchored the role even when he wasn't around.
So, double fucked for the price of one.
Solomon Grundy
want pants too
491 Posts
35/M/NA

offline   (1)
March 6 2017 9:35 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

Solomon Grundy
want pants too
491 Posts
35/M/NA

offline   (1)
March 6 2017 9:49 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

Watched this on netflix. What a perfect film, & easily one of the best movie soundtracks.
Carlo_HC
hardcore for life
23,158 Posts
34/M/NA

online   (1)
March 8 2017 5:16 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Carlo_HC
hardcore for life
23,158 Posts
34/M/NA

online   (1)
March 9 2017 10:16 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Lifetime74
Woooo!
27,715 Posts
42/M/PA

offline   (13)
March 13 2017 11:48 AM   QuickQuote Quote  

Just finished season 2. Ehh, it was okay and pretty much the same as season 1.
Carlo_HC
hardcore for life
23,158 Posts
34/M/NA

online   (1)
March 13 2017 7:07 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
booooooring

JohnDurham
Time Husk
7 Posts
20/M/OH

March 16 2017 12:23 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
yes city of god is superb
Solomon Grundy
want pants too
491 Posts
35/M/NA

offline   (1)
March 16 2017 10:34 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

been watching this on netflix, one of the better bbc law&order crime dramas set in rural Wales with tons of gorgeous exterior filmwork.
Solomon Grundy
want pants too
491 Posts
35/M/NA

offline   (1)
March 16 2017 10:46 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

I think movies like this are a good gauge of what the rest of the world thinks of Americans right now.

Very decent gothic western working themes from High Plains Drifter, Heaven's Gate, and Dead Man more than Sergio Leone imo, with an amazing supporting cast of bbc, hbo and amc regulars like High Sparrow from Game of Thrones and Negan from Walking Dead, as well as Eva Green and of course Mads. Also gorgeous exterior filmwork in I guess that part of South Africa that looks like Big Bend Texas, and also on netflix.
Solomon Grundy
want pants too
491 Posts
35/M/NA

offline   (1)
March 18 2017 10:24 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

disappointing. got halfway thru the episode dump today and was like what the fuck am i wasting my time watching this for.
by the time rosario dawson slogs in for the franchise tie-in in what's got to be her laziest gig ever, five generic episodes have gone by and you're only reminded of how much better daredevil was at this point.
if marvel/netflix is happy producing soap operas for millennials, good for them, i guess.

still holding out hope for the punisher with bernthal because as of now daredevil is the only one of these four series really worth watching, i.m.o. the other three are basically wb shows with cursing.
Carlo_HC
hardcore for life
23,158 Posts
34/M/NA

online   (1)
March 19 2017 11:27 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Carlo_HC
hardcore for life
23,158 Posts
34/M/NA

online   (1)
March 20 2017 5:47 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Carlo_HC
hardcore for life
23,158 Posts
34/M/NA

online   (1)
March 23 2017 11:15 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
sci-fi series deleted after 1 season. IMO better than other stuff that last for years.

Carlo_HC
hardcore for life
23,158 Posts
34/M/NA

online   (1)
March 28 2017 6:12 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
all threads All Threads ›› the movie thread ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: the movie thread

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics