that wasn't nice
Tim E. Husk
slavar som djur
19,110 Posts
52/M/NA

offline   (1)
July 31 2011 9:18 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: tom.

oh heyyy, what's going on in this thread?

I tried talking about something relevant.
tom.
^__^
62,529 Posts
34/M/PA

offline  mobile reply     (5)
July 31 2011 9:26 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
it was inevitable.
Tim E. Husk
slavar som djur
19,110 Posts
52/M/NA

offline   (1)
July 31 2011 9:42 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Well, there is no reason that we can't try to continue a real conversation. What do you think about my responses to the article you posted?
tom.
^__^
62,529 Posts
34/M/PA

offline     (5)
July 31 2011 10:18 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i think it's a plausible theory.
like you had basically said though, it's out of the realm of science.

i personally believe that all evolutionary models signify this one distinct fact; that even one slight altercation to the history of homo-sapiens and "intelligent life" i.e. humans, are quickly extinct.
i just see the human brain itself being infinitely complex and yet extremely fragile. the odds of replicating intelligent life even without being on a congruent time scale, seem to be about the same as me getting dealt a hundred straight hands with 4 aces on a vegas poker table.
xceptoilfree
support our troops
75 Posts
33/M/CA

August 1 2011 3:43 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
besides, jesus said so.
mrdtb123
crack skat
1,880 Posts
28/M/SC

offline  mobile reply   (2)
August 1 2011 9:19 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Kadesh, I like what you said about faith.
Tim E. Husk
slavar som djur
19,110 Posts
52/M/NA

offline   (1)
August 1 2011 10:14 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: tom.

i think it's a plausible theory.
like you had basically said though, it's out of the realm of science.

i personally believe that all evolutionary models signify this one distinct fact; that even one slight altercation to the history of homo-sapiens and "intelligent life" i.e. humans, are quickly extinct.
i just see the human brain itself being infinitely complex and yet extremely fragile. the odds of replicating intelligent life even without being on a congruent time scale, seem to be about the same as me getting dealt a hundred straight hands with 4 aces on a vegas poker table.

We are not the only intelligent life that has ever existed on Earth. We are simply the most dominant and only current surviving intelligent species. Homo sapiens sapiens belongs to the genus Homo (obviously), but we should not forget that this genus contained more than a dozen species!

In other words, 1) we aren't unique in the way we would like to believe, but 2) our rise at the expense of other species in the genus Homo (at least with those existing contemporaneously with ours) shows that relatively small differences in evolutionary terms can have significant results.

I can't argue with your assessment of the brain, but I do not share that feeling. To us the brain can only seem infinitely complex, but we also thought that about a great many other things. Currently the brain serves as a sort of 'final frontier,' but we all know that frontiers exist to be pushed further and further back. Besides, neurologists and biologists know some things about the differences between human and animal brains - we aren't completely in the dark, even if we can't yet state exactly what triggers/constitutes/defines intelligence.

One last point. It's annoyingly pedantic but should be noted regardless: while we are talking about an order of intelligence that includes the construction of spacecraft, there are other types depending on how we define intelligence, sentience, etc. There are animals on Earth other than humans with very high intelligence. We have become so accustomed to the idea of certain 'smart' animals that they often slip our minds, but their existence is important.
Dickscraper
dickacraper
25,618 Posts
30/M/IL

offline   (11)
August 1 2011 12:26 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
oh hey they found a ufo on the bottom of the ocean today

click here for link
Yodel Toast
que te follen
20,134 Posts
33/F/PA

offline   (14)
August 1 2011 12:30 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I made Dave watch the fourth kind with me last night. that movie creeps me the FUCK out.
tom.
^__^
62,529 Posts
34/M/PA

offline     (5)
August 1 2011 12:47 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Dickscraper

click here for link

aboutleaving
stainin
20,639 Posts
30/M/NA

offline   (1)
August 1 2011 5:27 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Dickscraper

click here for link

And it certainly can't be a manmade object because I'd would assume that any experimental vehicle woud have been retrieved by now by the US or Russian navies.

Rats in the walls
crush, kill, destr
1,167 Posts
33/M/NY

offline   (1)
August 1 2011 6:28 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

'Goldilocks planet just right for life'

By Katia Moskvitch Science reporter, BBC News

Astronomers have detected an Earth-like exoplanet that may have just the right kind of conditions to support life.

Gliese 581g lies some 20 light-years away in its star's "Goldilocks zone" - a region surface temperatures would allow the presence of liquid water.

Scientists say that the newly found world could also potentially have an atmosphere.

Their findings, made with the Keck telescope in Hawaii, appear in the Astrophysical Journal.

Any emerging life forms would have a wide range of stable climates to choose from and to evolve around, depending on their longitude" - Steven Vogt University of California, Santa Cruz

The researchers, from the University of California at Santa Cruz (UCSC) and the Carnegie Institution of Washington, have been studying the movement of the planet's parent star, a red dwarf called Gliese 581, for 11 years.

Their observations have revealed a number of exoplanets spinning around the star.
Possibility of life

Recently they discovered two new alien worlds, so together with the previous findings, this brings the number of planets orbiting Gliese 581 to six.

But the most important new revelation is that one of those worlds might be the most Earth-like planet yet identified.

"Our findings offer a very compelling case for a potentially habitable planet," said Steven Vogt, an astronomer at UCSC.

"The fact that we were able to detect this planet so quickly and so nearby tells us that planets like this must be really common."

Gliese 581g has a mass about three to four times that of Earth. It orbits its sun in 37 days and is thought to be a rocky world. It has enough gravity to possibly have an atmosphere.

Gliese 581g is located in its star's "Goldilocks zone" - a zone in space where temperatures are neither too hot nor too cold for liquid water.

Such a zone defines the region in a star-centered orbit where an Earth-like planet could sustain that water on its surface - and therefore life.

"We had planets on both sides of the habitable zone - one too hot and one too cold - and now we have one in the middle that's just right," said Dr Vogt.

The planet's average surface temperature is estimated to be between 32 F and 104 F.

But unlike Earth, this alien world has one side always facing its sun and the other side constantly in the dark. So in-between the two sides, between shadow and light, there could be an area where life could potentially thrive.

"Any emerging life forms would have a wide range of stable climates to choose from and to evolve around, depending on their longitude," said Dr Vogt.
Alien worlds

The first exoplanet orbiting a star was detected more than a decade ago.

Since then, nearly 500 other worlds have been found beyond our Solar System, many of them Jupiter-like gas giants.

Now, astronomers are hoping to spot more exoplanets where life could be possible.

"We're at exactly that threshold now with finding habitable planets," said Paul Butler of the Carnegie Institution, a co-author of the study.

Dr Vogt agreed: "The number of systems with potentially habitable planets is probably on the order of 10 or 20%, and when you multiply that by the hundreds of billions of stars in the Milky Way, that's a large number," he said.

"There could be tens of billions of these systems in our galaxy."
crunkmoose
Fuck Nazis.
24,526 Posts
60/M/MA

offline   (9)
August 1 2011 7:48 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Yodel Toast

I made Dave watch the fourth kind with me last night. that movie creeps me the FUCK out.

Agreed.

Also, the movie The Tunnel creeps me the fuck out, too.
forum Politics and Society ›› UFO's and shit.. ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: UFO's and shit..

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?