Tim E. Husk
slavar som djur
19,086 Posts
51/M/NA

offline   (1)
July 30 2011 11:29 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: tom.

click here for link

The more I think about the ideas in this article, the stranger it gets. Take this, for example:

"The mathematical model produced by Prof Andrew Watson suggests that the odds of finding new life on other Earth-like planets are low because of the time it has taken for beings such as humans to evolve and the remaining life span of the Earth. Structurally complex and intelligent life evolved late on Earth and this process might be governed by a small number of very difficult evolutionary steps."

I will ignore the obvious problem raised by my previous post (i.e., that earth-like planets very well may not be the only type capable of supporting life.)

What strikes me as odd is that evolutionary time scales are being superimposed on those of civilization and technology. Yes, it has taken quite some time for humans to evolve to their present state, but it has taken us an evolutionarily insignificant amount of time to move from small tribes without writing, wheels, or domesticated animals to global organization, commerce, space flight, supercomputers, etc. This accelerated development negates the fact that, evolutionarily, the earth is 'old.' If we can manage not to destroy the planet and each other, our possible future development spans a ridiculous amount of time in terms of technology, society, etc.

Given these points, which by themselves cannot be denied, one can speculate and run thought experiments about planets orbiting younger stars, intelligent species that evolved faster than we did (to the point that their brains could make the radical and brief transitions we have), etc.
G uNiT UgLy
g@unit.cum
3,225 Posts
31/M/PA

offline   (4)
July 30 2011 2:19 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Kadesh

Originally posted by: crunkmoose

If aliens existed and have been showing themselves, why don't we have more hard evidence? All we have is visual evidence. You'd think by now, the would be openly in our population, not hiding. It's been to long. Instead they show themselves obviously in the sky for a bit more than 60 years. Why won't they meet us? It would be for their benefit. I say, eyes can be tricked. For many years there have been "ghost sightings" too. Maybe they're all the same thing. I mean the bible pins these things down, and it's a book a couple thousand years old! 2 Corinthians 11:14

And yet you have relied on far less proof for ghosts and contemporary dinosaurs.
And when you say the bible pins these things down, what you really mean is the bible says vague stuff that could be interpreted as being about the same thing.

well "angel of light" is pretty straight forward. It's saying satan makes himself look like a lighted object or figuratively makes himself look good to attract people to him like he's the best deal. Like cheese on a mouse trap.

or, like...

any possibility that you guys have been worshiping the wrong guy all these years? would explain a lot.
Kadesh
Kadesh
37,474 Posts
33/M/PA

offline     (26)
July 30 2011 4:16 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
....that doesn't make sense bro.
crunkmoose
Netflx n chilli
24,478 Posts
61/M/MA

offline   (9)
July 30 2011 5:36 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

moose, I have reason to believe God really exists. Like through experience.

Like through attributing experiences to a god you already believed in and had been raised to believe in. Whether you are correct or not, you really don't see how biased you are about the whole thing from the start?
G uNiT UgLy
g@unit.cum
3,225 Posts
31/M/PA

offline   (4)
July 30 2011 5:56 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

more sense, much more sense. as a matter of fact, the more i think about it, the more i think that nothing has ever made more sense on the subject.
Kadesh
Kadesh
37,474 Posts
33/M/PA

offline     (26)
July 30 2011 6:26 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: G uNiT UgLy

more sense, much more sense. as a matter of fact, the more i think about it, the more i think that nothing has ever made more sense on the subject.

if satan was actually god, what is his personality? it can't be an "evil" personality. Evil, by it's nature isn't self existing. If you are the essence of evil, to be evil, You can not be so unless you have some standard for what "good" is. Evil is always twisting of the essence of good. Good just is a standard of logic it's the way things are. Evil is the twisting of those thing.

....If you mean God isn't God, that there is another who is god. Well how come that creator of all existence isn't at least strong enough to make himself the most popular religion in the world. Where is the evidence....and don't tell me "faith," because faith is highly misunderstood. Faith isn't just randomly believing somethings true because you want too. Faith is knowing someone and having "faith" that they do what they say. You have "faith" your car will start. You have faith your wife, or loved one will at least do their part (if the marriage is stable). You have faith that your boss will give you a pay check. It's different. Not random belief. You can't have "faith" in God's existence. You have to come to the conclusion with your head and logic to make the choice to follow Him. He has promises, you can trust those or not. Hence a lack of faith.

Well I guess you can use that same argument for the rest of the percentage being atheist but then again if the God I'm talking about really is who He says He is, God is all about free choice. But then again, the reason Christianity is top is not because He's forcing it, it's because Christianity just plain makes more sense and matches what "natural creation" is.

percentage
Christianity 2.1 billion 33.0%
Islam 1.5 billion 21
Hinduism 900 million 14
Buddhism 376 million 6
Sikhism 23 million 0.36
Judaism 14 million 0.22
Bahaism 7 million 0.1
Confucianism 6.3 million 0.1
Jainism 4.2 million 0.1
Shintoism 4 million 0.0

Read more: Top Ten Organized Religions of the World - Infoplease.com
click here for link
Kadesh
Kadesh
37,474 Posts
33/M/PA

offline     (26)
July 30 2011 6:50 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
crunkmoose
Netflx n chilli
24,478 Posts
61/M/MA

offline   (9)
July 30 2011 7:32 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

if satan was actually god, what is his personality? it can't be an "evil" personality. Evil, by it's nature isn't self existing. If you are the essence of evil, to be evil, You can not be so unless you have some standard for what "good" is. Evil is always twisting of the essence of good. Good just is a standard of logic it's the way things are. Evil is the twisting of those thing.

....If you mean God isn't God, that there is another who is god. Well how come that creator of all existence isn't at least strong enough to make himself the most popular religion in the world. Where is the evidence....and don't tell me "faith," because faith is highly misunderstood. Faith isn't just randomly believing somethings true because you want too. Faith is knowing someone and having "faith" that they do what they say. You have "faith" your car will start. You have faith your wife, or loved one will at least do their part (if the marriage is stable). You have faith that your boss will give you a pay check. It's different. Not random belief. You can't have "faith" in God's existence. You have to come to the conclusion with your head and logic to make the choice to follow Him. He has promises, you can trust those or not. Hence a lack of faith.

Well I guess you can use that same argument for the rest of the percentage being atheist but then again if the God I'm talking about really is who He says He is, God is all about free choice. But then again, the reason Christianity is top is not because He's forcing it, it's because Christianity just plain makes more sense and matches what "natural creation" is.

percentage
Islam 1.5 billion 21
Hinduism 900 million 14
Buddhism 376 million 6
Sikhism 23 million 0.36
Judaism 14 million 0.22
Bahaism 7 million 0.1
Jainism 4.2 million 0.1
Shintoism 4 million 0.0

click here for link

Or perhaps it reflects the close relationship between nations that conquered and colonized the rest of the world and the christian religion.. as well as spasms of conversion by the sword.
Rats in the walls
crush, kill, destr
1,166 Posts
32/M/NY

offline   (1)
July 31 2011 4:16 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Blame Game

I would be.willing to wager my soul.that life exists SOMEHOW/SOMEWHERE but don't get why it always is portrayed as being more advanced in way or another. Truthfully we are just a lucky mistake in The right place at the right time.

Well, there's probably both more advanced and less advanced life out there, and life at every stage of development going on somewhere. That study in the Journal Nature was based on a massive amount of work by some of the best minds in several different fields, and they came up with a low end likelihood of 3,000 planets with life, and a high end of 30,000, and that's just among the 200-400 billion stars in our own galaxy. When you include the rest of the universe, which has between 100 and 500 billion galaxies, the sheer numbers make life elsewhere nearly certain.

As for kadesh's point as to why, if this is so, we haven't been visited by now, the answer may be as simple and depressing as that while life may exist on other planets, travel between stars might just not be possible in any kind of efficient, back-and-forth sense. More possible, something like an ark ship could arrive here on a one-way trip, although even with the best spectral analyses possible to even the most advanced alien civilization, finding a star system with a planet with water would still be pretty difficult and a bit of a crap shoot. I would guess that it's probably even odds that they'd wind up in a star system with planets like Jupiter and Venus, be unable to set another course and die off in their ships, if they hadn't died already in the thousands of years it took just to get there. But who knows, maybe the comet that killed off the dinosaurs was just a ship that lost its brakes somewhere along the way.
Kadesh
Kadesh
37,474 Posts
33/M/PA

offline     (26)
July 31 2011 4:36 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: crunkmoose

percentage
Islam 1.5 billion 21
Hinduism 900 million 14
Buddhism 376 million 6
Sikhism 23 million 0.36
Judaism 14 million 0.22
Bahaism 7 million 0.1
Jainism 4.2 million 0.1
Shintoism 4 million 0.0

click here for link

Or perhaps it reflects the close relationship between nations that conquered and colonized the rest of the world and the christian religion.. as well as spasms of conversion by the sword.

"Conversion of the sword" is not even close to what the bible teaches. Don't try it. You keep bringing up terrible things by people who "say" they were Christians, and did something bad. What about the Christians that live the way Christ taught? Gave to the poor, start schools, designed a country? Weather you like it or not this is why the pilgrims fled from England and created this country because of religious persecution (free from the twisted doctrine of the church of England) by people who "said" they were "Christians." This country WAS first a bible believing country.
crunkmoose
Netflx n chilli
24,478 Posts
61/M/MA

offline   (9)
July 31 2011 5:01 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
""Conversion of the sword" is not even close to what the bible teaches."

And Christians still did it.

"You keep bringing up terrible things by people who "say" they were Christians, and did something bad. "

Because that has been the history of christianity.

"What about the Christians that live the way Christ taught?"

They literally do not exist. Christ was supposed to be perfect and sinless.. no human is. All Christians are sinners, thus saying that some sins when done in the name of christianity make one non-christian is ludicrous.

"Weather you like it or not this is why the pilgrims fled from England and created this country because of religious persecution "

Yes... by other christian denominations.

"This country WAS first a bible believing country."

Yes, back when Americans were slaughtering Indians wholesale and owned slaves.

Look, Christians have done many good things in the past and the present and the bible does teach many good things... but that doesn't mean you can just discount all the ill and evil done by christians throughout history because you want to believe in some rosy, perfect version of christians where the worst sin committed is maybe lying when your girlfriend asks if these pants make her look fat. It is a ridiculously naive view of the world.
tom.
^__^
62,525 Posts
33/M/PA

offline  mobile reply     (5)
July 31 2011 7:18 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
oh heyyy, what's going on in this thread?
crunkmoose
Netflx n chilli
24,478 Posts
61/M/MA

offline   (9)
July 31 2011 7:39 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: tom.

oh heyyy, what's going on in this thread?

Eat a bag of John Thomas Boehners coated in Prick Santorum.
tom.
^__^
62,525 Posts
33/M/PA

offline  mobile reply     (5)
July 31 2011 8:16 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
why?
Billy Crystals
The shy retirer
14,553 Posts
31/M/WI

offline   (2)