forum Politics and Society ›› UFO's and shit.. ›› new reply Post Reply
BEERZEBUB
C-Wizard
4,191 Posts
29/M/OH

offline   (9)
July 14 2011 12:37 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I've read and watched a lot of things that I found to be pretty compelling, and I've also seen things that seemed utterly ridiculous. I tend to give more credence to UFO sightings as opposed to abduction stories, mostly because a majority of those always end up sounding incredibly retarded and contrived.

This was a pretty good read.

Looks at a bunch of different incidents all around the world with a bunch of high ranking and competent observers. I liked how the author asserts that yes, UFOs exist, yes many times they appear to be under intelligent control, but still keeps the mindset that at this point the ET connection is purely speculative. Possible... but unknown/unproven.
tom.
^__^
62,525 Posts
34/M/PA

offline     (5)
July 14 2011 1:06 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
ass nipples
old dancing boy
38,118 Posts
32/M/PA

offline   (7)
July 14 2011 1:09 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
emofacial
NIGGA DICK
35,618 Posts
M/PA

offline  mobile reply   (2)
July 14 2011 2:03 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: rain king

Originally posted by: eddie.

yep, they exist.

Originally posted by: Wesley Gibson

Originally posted by: squanto

Originally posted by: Max Schreck

-T
WastedPotential
6,659 Posts
36/M/VA

offline   (19)
July 14 2011 2:15 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
insert DLBs impersonation pic
Rats in the walls
crush, kill, destr
1,167 Posts
32/M/NY

offline   (1)
July 14 2011 9:05 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Isn't it already common knowledge that Area 51 is just a military r&d test site for experimental aircraft? And all those things UFO's do that people say that "no conventional aircraft could do" are things that experimental and a few non experimental, already approved military aircraft can do. The Harrier jet and the F-35B can fly, stop mid-air, hover, turn and fly off at a right angle, etc., as obviously can several high speed stealth helicopters. And at night, with lights on, at 20,000 feet, these would all seem strange for people who have only ever seen commercial aircraft flying across the sky. Add to this the fact that we test them other places besides Nevada, that private companies test things like this as well, and that the Russians and Chinese and probably a few other countries have similar projects scattered all over several continents, and the huge secret global conspiracy to hide aliens just becomes a pretty standard, normal conspiracy to hide new technology from competitors and the public.
Dave B.
12,352 Posts
M/PA

July 14 2011 11:12 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
mrdtb123
crack skat
1,880 Posts
28/M/SC

offline  mobile reply   (2)
July 16 2011 6:32 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
If there were a poll I'd bet most of us have seen something that would be classified as a UFO.
Tim E. Husk
slavar som djur
19,097 Posts
51/M/NA

offline   (1)
July 29 2011 3:04 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Rats in the walls

I hate to be a killjoy, but back-and-forth interstellar travel in realtime is just not physically possible. What the trekkie nerds fail to grasp is that as an object approaches the speed of light, it becomes light, i.e. it disintegrates on the subatomic, then the sub-subatomic level, and then finally becomes pure energy: light. Nothing else can travel at the speed of light but light itself. This is as reversible a process as burning a newspaper and expecting to put it back together and reading it again.

So there will never be any social, back and forth travel or communication between planets like in the movies unless the same star system is lucky enough to have two or more habitable planets that just happen to produce intelligent and technologically advanced civilizations, which is very, very rare, exponentially more rare than having life at all, but even this probably does exist somewhere as there are so many stars as to make the odds pretty good. Which is awesome for them, but not for us, since we don't.

What is possible though, and what could account for a visitation to us or some day by us, is some kind of seed ship, sent on a one-way trip to their/our best guess of what might be a habitable system by the time its hundred thousandth generation descendants got there, but that would still be a crap shoot because remember, most of the images of stars that you see are snapshots of thousands, hundreds of thousands, sometime millions of years past, so who knows what the planned destination would look like by the time such travelers arrived.

However, I am completely confident, based just on the enormous numbers alone, that there is in fact life on other planets in the universe, that some of this life is technologically advanced, that some of it travels between planets, and that some, perhaps on the verge of their star dying, sends/sent ark-ships out into space. I would guess that the oldest parts of the universe would have a few such flying dutchmen of some sort, ghost ships dead and adrift, and perhaps even a few that got lucky and successfully transferred life from one star system to another in this fashion; again, the sheer numbers make this likely. For us, the most productive place to look for something like this would be coming from the oldest parts of our own galaxy, the outermost arms, and most likely placed on a heading inward toward younger stars like our own, just to hedge their bets. That's still plenty of choices for origin and for destination, as all the stars you can see in the night sky with the naked eye are stars in our galaxy, so that's still pretty good odds. In fact, some credible theoretical astrophysicists recently published a calculation in the journal nature based on recent spectral analyses and image mapping that they believe that there are at least 3,000 and as many as 30,000 planets with life on them in the Milky Way alone. Pretty cool, but sadly, still out of reach.

The one thing we can speculate about reasonably is that the number of planets that could support life must be vast indeed. The number of likely planets in the universe is astounding, to the point that, even if life was possible only on 1 out of 1,000,000,000 planets, we would still have billions of life-sustaining planets.

The problem with distances and time, given that you are right about lightspeed and FTL travel, are that we can only think about the biological scale and technology that define us. A species that could live for hundreds of years and that has access to some means of inducing a preservative fugue state could theoretically colonize large parts of a galaxy with relatively short distances between individual systems.
crunkmoose
Fuck Nazis.
24,504 Posts
60/M/MA

offline   (9)
July 29 2011 3:42 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
tom.
^__^
62,525 Posts
34/M/PA

offline     (5)
July 29 2011 4:47 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Tim E. Husk
slavar som djur
19,097 Posts
51/M/NA

offline   (1)
July 29 2011 4:59 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: tom.

click here for link

From this article - "At present, Earth is the only example we have of a planet with life[.]"

That was my point, but this is a much better illustration of it than hypothetical aliens - we are constrained by our models. Not only are there many conflicting mathematical and physical models for the possibility of life in the universe, there are very large problems with assuming earth as a baseline for life. It is also currently the only reasonable baseline we can use for any sort of science-based conjecture, but that doesn't make it empirically right.
Kadesh
Kadesh
37,474 Posts
33/M/PA

offline     (26)
July 29 2011 5:23 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
If aliens existed and have been showing themselves, why don't we have more hard evidence? All we have is visual evidence. You'd think by now, the would be openly in our population, not hiding. It's been to long. Instead they show themselves obviously in the sky for a bit more than 60 years. Why won't they meet us? It would be for their benefit. I say, eyes can be tricked. For many years there have been "ghost sightings" too. Maybe they're all the same thing. I mean the bible pins these things down, and it's a book a couple thousand years old! 2 Corinthians 11:14
Kadesh
Kadesh
37,474 Posts
33/M/PA

offline     (26)
July 29 2011 5:27 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
the chances for life happening in another place are astronomical. Forget life even evolving. What are the chances for a Habitable Zone. http://www.universetoday.com/32622/habitable-zone/
click here for link

earth
click here for link
Dickscraper
dickacraper
25,095 Posts
30/M/IL

offline   (11)
July 29 2011 5:32 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i hate when people say "it's not possible to do so and so."

because we know everything already.
forum Politics and Society ›› UFO's and shit.. ›› new reply Post Reply