wiener breath
38,550 Posts
31/F/PA

offline  mobile reply   (11)
October 1 2017 7:57 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: WREN

Seeing this in 90 minutes. Very excite.

This ended up being really good but like most Aronofsky films, I had to sit an think about whether or not I actually liked it for a few hours. I got the big metaphor a little bit after the film finished because I was really hung up on the last (or one of the last) lines that Javier Bardem says. Jennifer Lawrence gave enough away in her interview with Kimmel that it confirmed my theory. It's got some insanely wild visuals during the later high points of the film and it's equally frustrating throughout. Jennifer Lawrence is fantastic in it. Definitely recommended if you like challenging movies or are just a fan of Aronofsky (sans Noah because that film is trash).

Which line? Anyway, as we briefly discussed, I really liked it. I don’t like how him and Lawrence feel almost obligated to explain basically the entire film. I thought it was pretty clear what it all was...especially if you read the credits.
Solomon Grundy
want pants too
491 Posts
35/M/NA

offline   (1)
October 2 2017 1:12 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
This is probably the greatest detective film ever made.

Solomon Grundy
want pants too
491 Posts
35/M/NA

offline   (1)
October 2 2017 1:12 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
This cracks the top ten:

Solomon Grundy
want pants too
491 Posts
35/M/NA

offline   (1)
October 2 2017 1:29 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
And this one is goofy but still great:

Solomon Grundy
want pants too
491 Posts
35/M/NA

offline   (1)
October 2 2017 10:47 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Solomon Grundy
want pants too
491 Posts
35/M/NA

offline   (1)
October 2 2017 10:47 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Horse Goblin
Time Husk
288 Posts
20/M/NA

offline  mobile reply 
October 2 2017 11:36 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Horse gobbler69
Carlo_HC
hardcore for life
23,159 Posts
34/M/NA

offline   (1)
October 5 2017 10:30 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
one the dumbest movies i've ever watched

Cumby
Time Husk
8,419 Posts
29/M/PA

online  mobile reply   (4)
October 5 2017 10:51 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I can't see how that could possibly not be a good movie
WREN
Pulp Free
52,135 Posts
34/M/PA

offline   (19)
October 5 2017 1:19 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Jess.

Seeing this in 90 minutes. Very excite.

This ended up being really good but like most Aronofsky films, I had to sit an think about whether or not I actually liked it for a few hours. I got the big metaphor a little bit after the film finished because I was really hung up on the last (or one of the last) lines that Javier Bardem says. Jennifer Lawrence gave enough away in her interview with Kimmel that it confirmed my theory. It's got some insanely wild visuals during the later high points of the film and it's equally frustrating throughout. Jennifer Lawrence is fantastic in it. Definitely recommended if you like challenging movies or are just a fan of Aronofsky (sans Noah because that film is trash).

Which line? Anyway, as we briefly discussed, I really liked it. I don’t like how him and Lawrence feel almost obligated to explain basically the entire film. I thought it was pretty clear what it all was...especially if you read the credits.

The line about being the creator.
Lifetime74
Woooo!
27,717 Posts
42/M/PA

offline  mobile reply   (13)
October 5 2017 1:42 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Carlo_HC

one the dumbest movies i've ever watched

Agreed, I know Smith was stoked to make a movie with his daughter, but he made a pretty bad one.
Racer X
lost in the ether
1,808 Posts
90/M/NY

offline   (3)
October 5 2017 7:59 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Carlo_HC
hardcore for life
23,159 Posts
34/M/NA

offline   (1)
October 11 2017 5:00 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Solomon Grundy
want pants too
491 Posts
35/M/NA

offline   (1)
October 11 2017 6:40 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

I liked this, but it was not great. Good but not great. It is definitely unfair to compare it to something as ground-breaking, genre-changing, and visually style-setting as the original 1982 film, but that being said, what you can do with a sequel is write an amazing, complex, elaborate story with complicated and well developed characters, and this does not. It was not as visually arresting either, and although that has a lot to do with the choice to show a lot of daytime scenes rather than the night, dusk and dawn that is traditional for noir, other relatively recent broken-future films like Dredd and even District 9 show that it's not impossible. In less major details, even the soundtrack was a bit lacking; the sweeping melodic score of the original was replaced by much more muted and clunky synth work that added absolutely nothing. All the principal actors did an adequate job, although no one came close to Rutger Hauer's brilliant characterization in the original, and the chick playing the Terminator-lite fixer was a bit flat, and her fight scenes were pretty unremarkable; no one is impressed with roundhouse kicks in 2017, maybe not even in 1982.

So yeah, not exactly a slow leak out of a balloon, but definitely not a game changer either.
forum Arts & Entertainment ›› the movie thread ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: the movie thread

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?